Lots of people believe that chiropractic care should only be sought in times of emergency, such as in the case of severe injuries or chronic pain. Others think that chiropractic assistance is only important for elderly or physically compromised people.
In reality, there are various benefits to getting routine chiropractic adjustments, no matter your age, activity level, physical condition or ability. For children and adults alike, regular chiropractic visits can help you maintain optimal health and wellbeing for years to come.
It pays to do your research when seeking chiropractic treatment to find a clinic that best suits your specific needs, location and budget.
What Do Chiropractors Actually Do?
If you haven’t ever seen a chiropractor yourself, you may have a skewed view of what their actual purpose and process is. Chiropractic physicians use hands-on techniques, sometimes coupled with other natural remedies, to restore spinal alignment, improve nervous system functioning and reduce pain. Chiropractors typically treat people with back pain, although they may also aid patients who suffer from neck, shoulder cranial, leg or arm pain.
While chiropractors provide a wide range of advantages for their patients, these are a few of the top reasons why one may benefit from regular visits:
- Better Balance: When your spine is out of alignment, it can be hard to move or even balance like you should be able to. If you are an athlete or a dancer, good balance is essential, and spinal adjustments can help you achieve it. However, you don’t have to be a sport enthusiast to benefit from better balance. It is also useful for day to day activities with ease.
- Pain Relief: One of the most common reasons people seek chiropractic treatment is to reduce or manage pain. Professional adjustments can help you to realign your spine and ensure proper joint mobility, which will enable you to move easier and be less likely to experience pain or injury.
- Stress Relief: Unlike visiting the doctor, seeing a chiropractor is meant to be a relaxing process. The purpose of chiropractic assistance is to restore your nervous system to a neutral state, which can assist in both physical and mental stress reduction.
- Increased Immunity: Did you know that chiropractic adjustments can boost your immune system? It facilitates the function of your nervous system and boosts the production of disease-fighting cells. Coupled with an immunity-boosting diet plan, chiropractic care can help you fight disease or sickness all year long.
- Healthy Digestion: Studies indicate that poor spinal alignment can hinder digestion, as bad posture may put unnecessary pressure on digestive organs. If you’re suffering from digestive distress, consulting with a qualified chiropractor may be beneficial. Their aim is to restore your body’s nerve functioning, which means that your stomach and intestines become more efficient in how they process food and absorb nutrients.
- Improved Sleep: When your body is achy and stressed, your sleep can become compromised. Chiropractic therapy supports your body and eases it into a relaxed state so that you can sleep soundly. They also may benefit your sleep by ensuring healthy spinal alignment while in bed, which may result in less tossing and turning throughout the night.
- Improved Mental Health: There is something to be said for platonic human touch, whether it be a hug, a massage, or a chiropractic adjustment. Physical contact releases serotonin in the brain, putting us in a better mental state, and spinal adjustments are known to balance brain chemistry which also enhances mental wellbeing.
- Less Need for Pharmaceuticals: Many people who experience common pain become dependent on prescription or over-the-counter medication as a means of managing it. Pharmaceuticals can be dangerous when used as long-term solutions, and may even lead to dangerous side-effects in the short term.
As you can see, chiropractic treatment provides all sorts of benefits. That being said, these effects are only sustainable if you seek regular care. Going to the chiropractor every once in a while may make you feel good for a few days afterwards, but it won’t lead to long standing advantages. Make sure that you are consistently scheduling appointments if you would like to see lasting results.
If you live in Melbourne and require chiropractic support from practitioners you can trust, look no further than The Glen Back Care & Sports Therapy. We offer in-house chiropractic in Glen Waverley, although we also welcome from all around the city.